Post new topic   Reply to topic    Seekers of the Silmarils Forum Index -> Raids/ Instances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashapadaman
Namrevlis
Officer

re: Fires of Smaug raid guide

I have found this guide to the new 12 person raid, Fires of Smaug. I think that we should all read it and study it, if we hope to do it as a kin run one day in the near future. I know I want to do it! How about you?

Here is the link: http://sidetracked-lotro.blogspot.com/2013/02/fires-of-smaug.html (0r cut and paste the link)

It is a very mechanical specific raid and alot of communication is needed. It definitely looks fun and I know we can do it! So check out this webpage and let's go do it for fun and for gear!

Looks like a very good guide, not had chance to read through it all yet!

I'm very interested in completing all 3 of the new raids, you need that to unlock the Lesser armour deed. Tier 2 will unlock the Greater armour deed.

While Battle for Erebor T1 is just plain easy, for me, it doesn't exactly feel like a raid; at least not the way it's being farmed. End game content shouldn't feel like a quick Turtle run!

Smaug has much more going on and like you've mentioned it relies a lot on peeps doing the right things at the right time.

I'm back home later today and will be back in game to see everyone.

Hopefully the kin can get these raids nailed over the coming weeks!

completed this on T1 last nite.

leader used very similar method to the guide.

It's mostly a lot of co-ordination for those designated to keep valves shut, two tanks that MUST grab adds exactly as they spawn, and a couple of very careful hunters in charge of DPSing the boss to set percentage points to trigger things like the adds - then waiting for them to be killed, the valves get re-shut, then DPS some more to the next trigger etc etc.

do-able, but it will involve wipes as people learn what to do and when. I'd describe it like Draigoch; initially it seems quite intense and like there's so much to remember, but if everyone does their job correctly it is just a case of being careful and not a DPS race at all.

Not sure all the mechanics sank in for me during the run, but it was useful to get a good base idea of what to do.

Potential strategy to complete Smaug on either T1 or T2, trying to make it as simple as possible, at the cost of being a lil risky (you'll see why as I explain)

So if you've read the guide Huggy linked you'll have a rough idea of the mechanics, it makes more sense when you see it in game, so maybe we can try this after a couple of runs or so.

Below is a terrible drawing which is meant to be the map, the wavy line is the path down to the boss area marked as a red X. The 4 yellow lines leading away from the red X are the pipes and each valve is marked by a number. The Golden Tater is just awesome, it serves no purpose other than to look at and behold its' wonder.

Forum Image

To win we need less than 200 units of smoke to go through the valves, from a potential total of 380 units. Units of smoke are passed through each 5% of boss health, so 95%, 90%, 85% etc etc

My risky proposal is that we initially split into two groups (as per the strategy Huggy linked). Group A take valves 1+2, Group B INITIALLY take valves 3+4. Group A will be keeping their valves TOTALLY shut off just before we pass one of the 5% thresholds. They will do this for the whole fight. Group B will do the same for valves 3+4, but will abandon them after 85% boss health and head over to join group A.

This means that we WILL allow 160 units of smoke to pass through valves 3+4 during the fight, leaving us only 39 units before we loose, so valves 1+2 have a small 'buffer' for mistakes, but not much.

Why try this?

By abandoning valves 3+4 we can ignore the adds that spawn on that side every 10% (if we get really lucky BOTH sets of adds could spawn on that side making life easy, or if BOTH sets spawn on valves 1+2 we have the extra peeps to deal with them).
The group stays closer together so healing shouldnt be as rough and same for rezes if needed.
The risky element of the fight is the first 15% of the boss - so if we mess up a restart isn't too much hassle.
We will have all 12 peeps closing valves 1+2 for most of the fight, so should be easier to keep them totally shut the whole time.

This should work quite well I hope, but it's not been tested so we will see. It should work for both T1 and T2 - so we could with practice find ourselves able to get 1A symbols :oD

Very nice! Sounds like a plan for this weekend! Good work guys!

More interesting news!

If you complete the raid at a low level, then kill off any remaining adds, the valves stay ACTIVE.

This will give new peeps an excellent chance to be shown where spawn points are, learn the layout and stuff so when we ask to go close 'top' valves they know what we mean etc.

Peeps can have a quick practice working together to close valves and see how it's done with no risk at all

Jump to: